Natural Indigo (Qingdai)
|Pharmaceutical Name:||Indigo Naturalis|
|Botanical Name:||A blue powder prepared from:
1. Baphicacanthus cusia (Acanthaceae)
2. Indigofera suffruticosa Mill. (Leguminosae)
3. Polygonum tinctorium Ait. (Polygonaceae)
4. Isatis indigotica Fort. (Cruciferae)
|Common Name:||Natural indigo|
|Source of Earliest Record:||Yaoxing Lun|
|art Used & Method for Pharmaceutical Preparations:||The combination of pigments from Baphicacanthus cusia, Indigofera suffruticosa, Polygonum tinctorium and Isatis tinctoria is prepared and dried into a blue powder.|
|Properties and Taste:||Salty and cold|
|Meridian:||Liver, lung and stomach|
|Functions:||To clear heat and release toxins
To cool blood and reduce swelling
|Indications and Combinations:||1. Eruptions due to toxic heat in the blood.
*Use with Gypsum (Shigao) and Fresh rehmannia root (Shengdihuang) in the formula Qingdai Shigao Tang.
2. Hemorrhagic disease due to extravasation of the blood by heat manifested as vomiting of blood, epistaxis and cough with blood and sputum.
*Use with Biota tops (Cebaiye) and Imperata rhizome (Baimaogen).
3. Infantile convulsions due to high fever.
*Use with Ox gallstone (Niuhuang) and Uncaria stem (Gouteng) in the formula Liang Jing Wan.
4. Heat in the lungs manifested as cough, asthma and cough with thick yellow sputum.
*Use with Trichosanthes fruit (Gualou), Tendrilled fritillary bulb (Chuanbeimu) and Costazia bone (Haifushi) in the formula Qingdai Haishi Wan.
5. Acute mumps, boils and carbuncles.
*Use with Scrophularia (Xuanshen), Honeysuckle flower (Jinyinhua) and Forsythia fruit (Lianqiao).
|Cautions:||This substance is contraindicated during a cold in the stomach|