Prepared Aconite Root (Fuzi)
|Pharmaceutical Name:||Radix Aconiti Lateralis Praeparata|
|Botanical Name:||Aconitum carmichaeli Debx.|
|Common Name:||Prepared Aconite Root|
|Source of Earliest Record:||Shennong Bencao Jing|
|Part Used & Method for Pharmaceutical Preparations:||The roots are dug in late July and early August. After the fibrous roots have been removed, the roots are prepared with salt.|
|Properties and Taste:||Pungent, hot and toxic|
|Meridian:||Heart, kidney and spleen|
|Functions:||To warm and strengthen kidney yang
To expel cold and stop pain
|Indications and Combinations:||1. Collapsing of Yang syndrome manifested as cold extremities, spontaneous cold sweating and fading pulse.
*Use with Dried ginger (Ganjiang) and Licorice root (Gancao) in the formula Sini Tang.
2. Collapsing of yang Qi syndrome manifested as profuse sweating, shortness of breath and asthma.
*Use with Ginseng (Renshen) in the formula Shen Fu Tang.
3. Deficiency of kidney Yang and declined kidney fire manifested as chills, cold limbs, soreness and weakness of lumbar region, impotence and frequent urination.
*Use with Cinnamon bark (Rougui), Dogwood fruit (Shanzhuyu) and Prepared rehmannia root (Shudihuang) in the formula Gui Fu Bawei Wan.
4. Weakness of spleen yang manifested as cold in the epigastric regions and diarrhea.
*Use with Ginseng (Renshen), White atractylodes (Baizhu) and Dried ginger (Ganjiang) in the formula Fuzi Lizhong Wan.
5. Deficiency Yang in the spleen and kidneys manifested as dysuria and general edema.
*Use with White Atractylodes (Baizhu) and Poria (Fuling) in the formula Zhenwu Tang.
6. Heart yang deficiency manifested as palpitations, shortness of breath and stifling sensation and pain in the chest.
*Use with Ginseng (Renshen) and Cinnamon twigs (Guizhi).
7. Weakness of defensive yang manifested as spontaneous sweating.
*Use with Astragalus root (Huangqi) and Cinnamon twigs (Guizhi).
8. Invasion of wind and cold in a person with deficient yang.
*Use with Ephedra (Mahuang) and Asarum herb (Xixin) in the formula Mahuang Fuzi Xixin Tang.
9. Cold-damp obstruction syndrome manifested as general joint pain and chills.
*Use with Cinnamon twigs (Guizhi) and White Atractylodes (Baizhu) in the formula Gancao Fuzi Tang.
|Cautions:||This herb is contraindicated during pregnancy|